The Starfish Project

The combined effort of our whole family.

Cancer Hope Reborn: A Personal Account

leave a comment »

Peggy Good was a goner two years ago. In the previous two years, surgeons performed a quadruple bypass to rescue an ailing heart. As if that wasn’t enough for a lifetime, there was this other matter of ovarian cancer, a tumor as big as a grapefruit. Surgeons went in again, removed some of the tumor, but left some behind. Too risky. Too close to the vital organs. That wasn’t the end of it. She developed diabetes and learned all about injecting insulin in her veins.Then she started chemotherapy. And she agonized. She had two months to a year to live, doctors told her.

After five sessions of chemo, Peggy, 70, couldn’t take any more of the chemo-misery and told doctors she preferred to die in peace. “I was not even human”, she says. “I was sick to my stomach, I had headaches, fevers, I was not eating. I was going downhill very fast in the five months I was taking chemo.”

So when Peggy heard about a woman in Vancouver that apparently had worked magic on terminal cancers victims, she was curious. She phoned the woman, Elaine Alexander, who said, “Try it, see if it helps!” The herbal tea, Peggy learned, was called “essiac.” She had nothing to lose, she reasoned, and obtained some.

Peggy is certain essiac saved her life– handed it back in better condition than she’d known for a long time. After six weeks of ingesting essiac , a frightening event took place in the middle of the night. “I’m wetting the bed,” she thought. She looked under the covers. Thick, greyish matter poured from her vagina, “It looked like scum, like pus,” she says. Over the next couple of weeks she excreted “awful stuff”.

Then death began to lose its grip. “It’s hard to explain to people, it’s too unreal,” she says. “I started to feel so good, I couldn’t believe anyone could feel so good. I felt better than I had in the last 10 to 15 years”. Joie de vivre returned.

When she returned to the BC Cancer Clinic for a scheduled examination, the doctor gave her a clean bill of health. Shocked, stunned, she fell silent. He too was silent. He repeated, “I’m giving you a clean bill of health.” Then he walked out. In the days that followed, she started having a reaction to the insulin injections and slowly went off the needle. “All I know is that I take nothing for diabetes now.” Six weeks after she started on essiac, she was turning sod on the first of three large flower beds.

Back when Peggy was sick, she confided to her husband that she wished t hey had bought a motorhome and done a bit of traveling. “You get out of this and I’ll get you a motorhome,”he told her. Two years later, they’ve logged thousands of kilometers in their four-wheeled home. She has signed up for guitar lessons and she drinks in the countryside on her long walks. Life is full of newfound meaning.

This isn’t where the story ends. Her husband Harold, now 71, has one to tell too. He had a prostate problem for years. Every night, he got up to urinate almost once an hour, a painful and exhausting ritual. Doctors advised him it wasn’t time “to do anything yet” about the condition. Harold started taking essiac last year.

Early one evening, exhausted, he went to bed. He got up later, went to the bathroom in a sleepwalk and went back to bed. Peggy was astonished to see what he left behind in the toilet bowl. A “bowl-full of pus”, as she describes it. She went to wake him, to tell him there was something wrong, but he was deep in sleep. That was his last nightly excursion to the bathroom.

By last February, Peggy, a personification of understatement, believed in miracles. She gave some of her essiac to an octogenarian neighbor. He had been give one month to live and members of his family had arrived from England to prepare for a funeral. Peggy and Harold motored off for a three week holiday.

When they returned, they saw the neighbor walking down the road, “full of jokes and smiling and laughing and carrying on”, says Peggy. His relative took some essiac back to England for a family member with lung cancer. “I understand she was to the point where she was bedridden and wouldn’t let anyone in the house. After two or three weeks, she got up and to bingo. The relatives are keeping me posted. I’m certainly a believer,” says Peggy. “I’m sure I would be dead without essiac. I was ready for bygones.”

Source: Shirley’s Wellness Cafe


Written by Tracey

September 23, 2008 at 6:56 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: